This is a classic lemon drizzle cake that is really citrusy zingy and super easy cake. This cake does not require any decoration because it looks really awesome.
- 225g butter, soft and unsalted
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 225g self-raising flour
- 2 lemons, zested
- 100g caster sugar
- juice of 2 lemons
- The first thing you need to do is cream the butter and sugar together, put the sugar and butter into the bowl of a stand mixer and beat on medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Turn the speed to low and add the 4 large eggs one at a time and give the mixture a good mix after each addition. Add in the zest of two lemons and mix it in juts to make sure all that is mixed in. Sift in self-raising flour into the butter mixture and you need to fold the flour in with a spatula so you do not overmix the batter.
- The reason you want to fold it carefully is that you created loads of air with the creaming and you don’t want to knock the air out which will give this cake its spongy texture. Pour the batter three-quarters full into the prepared cake tin and level it then bakes the cake in a 340 degrees Fahrenheit (140C) for 50 to 55 minutes.
- For the drizzle, juice two lemons and add the juice into a bowl with caster sugar then whisk just until you have a maple syrup consistency then pour it on the warm cake and leave the cake to cool for 15 minutes then slice and serve. This is a delicious lemon cake that you are going to love with a cup of tea.