Light, fluffy, and zesty, this cake is a comforting and foolproof recipe that anyone can make.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (240g/ 8.5Oz)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ cups plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar divided (325g/ 11.5Oz)
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil (240ml)
- 1¼ cups whole milk (300ml)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest (6g)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (30ml
- Start off by setting your oven to 375F, you want it nice and hot. In a medium-sized mixing bowl add two cups of all-purpose flour together with one teaspoon of salt, 1 tsp baking powder, and 1/4 tsp baking soda then give it a good mix and set it aside.
- Into the bowl of a stand mixer or a large mixing bowl, add one and a half cups of granulated sugar, and three-room temparature eggs. Mix it up at high speed until it’s light and fluffy. Once it is well mixed and smooth, measure one cup of olive oil and with the mixer on low, gradually stream the olive oil in so it mixed properly.
- Zest one lemon (one teaspoon) and add the zest in the batter together with two tablespoons of lemon juice then measure one cup of buttermilk and add it in. Mix it until very liquidy and everything looks mixed in well. With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture gradually and yoiu want to mix it just until combined, you don’t want to overmix the batter.
- Lightly grease and line the bottom of your baking pan with parchment paper then pour the batter into the cake pan. Bake it in the preheated 375F oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Once the cake is out of the oven, let it cool for 15 minutes then remove it from the pan onto a wire rack. Slice and serve.