This Filipino cake is a version of chiffon cake baked in a loaf pan and topped with melted butter, sugar and shredded cheese. This simple cake will have you wanting one slice after another.
- egg yolks from large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 7 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
For the Toppings
- 1/2 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1/2 to 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line two 9×5 loaf pans with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the egg yolks until it is slightly thicker. Add the sugar and mix until incorporated. Add water, oil and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Add the flour mixture gradually and use a hand whisk to blend the ingredients well, until smooth.
- Meanwhile, in the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk the egg whites on medium speed until frothy. Add the cream of tartar and continue to whisk until egg whites form firm peaks that hold its shape when the whisk is lifted.
- Gently fold the egg whites to the yolk batter in three additions until batter is uniform and well mixed. Pour batter into two 9×5 inch loaf pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Brush the cakes with melted butter.
- Once they have cooled slightly, take them out of the pan. Sprinkle sugar and shredded cheese on top.