These delicious and very simple Lemon, Almond and Coconut Friands not only is the texture of these small cakes divine, they’re also incredible adaptable. You can easily switch the lemon and coconut for raspberry and white chocolate or a classic lime friand – the possibilities are truly endless, and of course delicious!
- Zest and rind of 1 lemon
- 150g almond meal
- 50g desiccated coconut – extra for decorating
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 5 egg whites, lightly whisked
- 150g unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and lightly grease a friand baking tray – or cupcake tray.
- In a medium mixing bowl of an electric mixer, add the lemon rind and juice, almond meal, coconut, icing sugar and flour and gently mix to combine.
- Add the egg whites and mix well on a low speed until well combined. Slowly pour the melted butter into the mixture and continue to mix on a low speed until well combined and smooth.
- Fill the friand moulds 3/4 full with the mixture and bake for around 20min or until the tops crack and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly in the tray before transferring to a wire rack, sprinkle with desiccated coconut and enjoy while still warm. Or slice in half and lightly or generously spread with home made lemon curd for a perfect mid winter treat.