The simple spongy muffin base is easy to make and it can be flavored with a variety of mix-ins. You’ll be sinking your teeth into buttery, soft muffins in no time!
- 2 cups (260 g) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup (180 ml) milk, room temperature
- ½ cup (114 g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners; set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the milk, butter, and eggs together until well combined.
- Add the flour mixture and stir with a silicone spatula just until combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups and sprinkle the tops with coarse sugar if using.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with only a few moist crumbs attached.
- Transfer muffins to a wire rack to cool completely. Muffins are best the day they are made but they can be stored for later use.