This cake is delicious without any topping or you can use fresh cream to make it into a sandwich cake. Although the ingredients to prepare are simple, there are a lot of details that need to pay attention to.
- 75g Butter
- Zest from 1-2 orange
- 80g cake flour sifted
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 75g orange juice
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- 80 g caster sugar
- 6g corn starch
- Prepare a loose bottom 7″ cake tin with no lining or greasing. Pre-heat oven to 170 deg C.2. Wash orange thoroughly using fruit wash or a lump of salt. Grate zest.
- Place butter in pot and heat till small bubbles form at edges (and not throughout). Add in orange zest and stir quickly. Then off the flames and take pot off the stove.
- Add in cake flour and stir with handwhisk.
- Add in cold orange juice and salt and stir till combine, forming a lumpy paste.
- Next, add in yolks one by one to obtain a smooth paste. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, stir corn flour into caster sugar till evenly mixed.
- Beat egg whites till foamy. Start to add sugar (with the corn flour) gradually in a few batches and beat till stiff peak.
- Add 1/3 of meringue to egg yolk mixture to loosen with hand whisk.
- Pour yolk batter back into remaining meringue, switch to spatula to fold gently.
- Pour batter slowly at a height into cake tin. Tap sharply against counter to release big bubbles. You can use a skewer to go around the top layer to remove more bubbles.
- Bake at 170 deg C for 12 min at the lowest rack of the oven. There is no need for steam or water bath.
- At about 12 min, take out the cake and quickly make slits on them.
- Place back into oven at the second lowest rack. Continue baking for another 30 min.
- Cool inverted by balancing the cake tin on two cups. Then unmould.