Bran muffins are really loaded with flavours and make the perfect breakfast food.
- 1 1/2 cups (80 grams) unprocessed wheat bran
- 1/2 cup (120 ml/grams) boiling water
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup (200 grams) light brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 2 large (100 grams) eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons (40 grams) unsulphured molasses
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (130 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (130 grams) whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup (60 grams) old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon (1 gram) ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon (5 grams) freshly grated orange zest (one large orange)
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 grams) salt
- 2 teaspoons (8 grams) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) baking powder
- 3/4 cup (100 grams) dark raisins (optional)
- 3/4 cup (180 ml/grams) milk, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup (180 ml/grams) buttermilk, at room temperature
- Place the wheat bran in a bowl and stir in the boiling water. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your electric stand mixer, fitted with the paddle
attachment (or with a hand mixer), beat the butter until smooth.
- Add the brown sugar and beat until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes).
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides and bottom of your bowl as needed.
- Add the vanilla and molasses and beat until well blended. Add the wheat bran and beat until combined.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, oats, cinnamon, orange
zest, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Stir in the raisins, if
- Add the flour mixture in three additions, alternately with the wet
ingredients (milk and buttermilk), in two additions, to the batter,
beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Cover and place the batter in the refrigerator until well chilled (several hours or up to about five days).
- When ready to bake the muffins, Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F
(190 degrees C) and place the oven rack in the centre of the oven.
- Line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners or else butter or spray the muffin cups with a nonstick vegetable spray.
- Fill the muffin cups, using two spoons or an ice cream scoop, about
3/4 full (85 grams) and bake about 17 – 18 minutes or until a toothpick
inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.