Nutrition Info PER SERVE: 854kJ, protein 5g, total fat 6.1g (sat. fat 0.6g), carbs 31g, fibre 3g, sodium 110mg. Carb exchanges 2. GI estimate medium.
- 2 small oranges, scrubbed
- Cooking spray
- 4 x 50g eggs
- 220g (1 cup) caster sugar
- 100g (1 cup) almond meal
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 80g (½ cup) wholemeal self-raising flour75g (½ cup) self-raising flour
- Orange syrup:
- Freshly squeezed juice and zest of 1 orange
- 125ml (½ cup) water
- ½ cup Equal SpoonfulExtra orange zest, to serve (optional)
- Put oranges in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Cover and bring to the boil over a high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook, partially covered, for 2 hours or until oranges are very soft. Drain and set aside to cool completely (this can be done the day before you make the cake).
- Preheat oven to 160°C (fan-forced). Spray a round 23cm (base measurement) 7cm deep cake tin with cooking spray. Line base and sides with baking paper. Put oranges in a blender or small food processor. Cover and blend until smooth. Transfer to a bowl. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk eggs and sugar in a large bowl on medium-high for 8-10 minutes or until mixture is thick and pale. Using a large metal spoon, stir in almond meal and vanilla. Add orange puree and mix until just combined. Add flours and fold in until just combined.Spoon mixture into prepared tin and smooth the surface with the back of a spoon. Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Set aside in the tin for 10 minutes to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, to make the orange syrup, put orange juice and zest, water and Equal Spoonful in a small saucepan. Cook, stirring, over a low heat until sweetener dissolves. Increase heat to medium and bring mixture to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 7-8 minutes or until mixture reduces by about half.
- Turn out cake onto a wire rack with a tray underneath. Using a fine skewer, poke holes all over cake. Using a pastry brush, brush orange syrup over top and sides of cake. Set aside for 10 minutes to allow some of the syrup to be absorbed. Sprinkle with extra orange zest, if using, and serve.