Soft and super delicious castella cake made with condensed milk, serve it warm with a cup of milk.
- 70 grams unsalted butter
- 100 grams cake flour
- 100 grams of sugar
- 60 ml Whole milk
- 70 ml Condensed milk
- 6 egg whites
- 6 egg yolks
- 5 ml vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt/ 1 grams
- Start by separating 6 egg yolks from the egg whites then place the egg whites in the fridge to cool and set the yolks aside. Place a mixing bowl over a pot with boiling water and add 70 grams of the unsalted butter together with 60 ml of whole milk and 70 ml of condensed milk, stir continuously and let the butter melt and dissolve in the milk.
- Once melted and well mixed, remove the bowl from the hot water and sift in 100 grams of cake flour then using a wire whisk, combine the flour in the milk mixture until smooth with no lumps. Add the yolks one at a time and mix it ion the cake batter until well combined then add a pinch of salt and vanilla extract for flavouring, whisk them in to combine then strain the batter through a sieve, this will ensure the cake comes out super soft even from the look of it.
- Remove the egg whites from the fridge and start beating it on high speed until its foamy then add 100 grams of sugar in three additions, whipping for 30 seconds at low speed after each addition. After adding the last batch of sugar, whip for 30 seconds at low speed then speed up to medium then high speed until the meringue rises and reaches a soft peak.
- Scoop the meringue and add it to the cake batter and fold it with with a spatula slowly from bottom to top until you get a homogenous batter. Line the cake tin with a parchment paper then pour in the batter and place the pan over a baking tray with hot water. Bake the cake in a preheated 300 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 40 minutes then lower then temparature to 260 Fahrenheit and bake for an additional 25 minutes.
- Once baked, take the cake out of the pan and let it cool down on a wire rack for about 15 minutes before slicing. This cake is fluffy, soft and delicious to eat, it will just melt in your mouth.