This luscious lemon drizzle cake is moist, refreshing, and very delicious. It makes for a great dessert, snack, or accompaniment for your favorite beverage.The lemon drizzle is refreshing with a sweet and sour taste. Finding the perfect balance between sweet and tangy really depends on your taste. If you want it sweeter than is, add more sugar, or if it’s too sweet, use less sugar.
Make sure the cake has a lot of holes in it as you want the lemon drizzle to penetrate the cake well.
- 1¾ (150g) cups of flour
- 1 cup (200g) of granulated sugar
- ½ cup (113g) of softened butter
- 1 tsp. of baking powder
- 1 tsp. of vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- zest from 1 lemon
- juice from 1½ lemons
- 1 cup (130g) of confectioner’s sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C.
- Grease a baking pan then line the bottom with some parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, add in the flour and baking powder, then whisk together until they are well combined.
- In a separate large bowl, add in the butter and sugar then mix together until they’re well combined.
- Then add in the eggs and vanilla extract and beat until a smooth, creamy mixture forms.
- Sift the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, in two additions, and beat until well incorporated.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared baking pan and smooth out the top.
- Place it in the oven and bake for about 25 – 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the drizzle. Simply add the sugar and lemon juice to a bowl and mix until they are well incorporated.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool then poke holes into the cake.
- Pour the lemon drizzle over the top and allow it to soak in before slicing.
- Serve and enjoy.