This is the first cake that I ever made. Great basic cake for making kids’ birthday cakes.
- 185 g butter softened
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 eggs large
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 180C and grease a 20 cm cake tin well.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, sugar and vanilla together with an electric mixer until light and creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition.
- Sift the flour over the mixture alternately with the milk, adding a third at a time. Stir in lightly.
- Spoon batter into prepared tin and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a skewer pulls clean from the middle of the cake.
- Cool cake in tin for a few minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
- Cake can be iced or dusted with icing sugar if desired.