You can also freeze the ice-cream mixture in an ice-cream machine; follow your machine’s manufacturer’s instructions.
- 2 cup (500ml) milk
- 8 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup (150g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2/3 cup (160ml) passionfruit pulp
- 300 millilitre thickened (heavy) cream
- Bring milk to the boil in a medium saucepan; remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks and sugar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually whisk into hot milk. Return to heat, stir over low heat, without boiling, until mixture thickens slightly.
- Transfer mixture to a large heatproof jug or bowl; cover surface with plastic wrap. Cool, then refrigerate until cold.
- Stir passionfruit into cold custard, then stir in cream.
- Pour mixture into a shallow cake pan, cover with foil; freeze 3 hours or until almost set.
- Beat coarsely chopped ice-cream in a large bowl with an electric mixer until smooth; return to cake pan. Cover; freeze until firm