While decorating these classic Strawberry Mascarpone Strudels, we looked to strudels’ nostalgic breakfast cousin, the Pop Tart. For our version, we swap out the usual sprinkles for crushed freeze-dried strawberries for a more refined look and an extra boost of berry.
- Fast Puff Pastry Dough (recipe follows)
- 1 (8-ounce) container (227 grams) mascarpone cheese, softened
- Strawberry Preserves (recipe follows)
- 1 large egg (50 grams), lightly beaten
- Mascarpone Glaze (recipe follows)
- Garnish: crushed freeze-dried strawberries
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll half of Fast Puff Pastry Dough into a 26×7-inch rectangle. Using a ruler and a sharp knife, cut dough into 10 (5×3-inch) rectangles, trimming dough as needed. Repeat with remaining dough. Place half of rectangles on prepared pans.
- Place mascarpone cheese in a pastry bag, and fill half of each rectangle with about 2 teaspoons mascarpone to make an ⅛-inch layer, leaving a ¼-inch border on all sides. Top with 2 heaping teaspoons Strawberry Preserves. Brush egg wash around outside edges. Top with remaining rectangles, and crimp with a floured fork to seal.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Let cool completely. Spread 1½ tablespoons Mascarpone Glaze onto each tart. Garnish with freeze-dried strawberries, if desired. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.