This is a simple one-bowl eggless butter cake which requires basic ingredients, this cake will bake so soft that you can frost with whatever you want. The secret number one to make a perfect eggless cake is to weigh your ingredients carefully. The second is to use a correct size tin and the third is not to overbeat the batter then bake the cake at the right temperature at the right time. You will start by greasing an 8-inch square or 9-inch round pan and lining it with a parchment paper.
- 250 grams (1 3/4 cup) plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda/ sodium bicarbonate
- 1 tin/400gm sweetened condensed milk
- 100 gm (1/2 cup) butter, melted
- 175 ml (scant 3/4 cup) water/milk
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar (optional)
- 2 tsp good quality vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp hot water
- Grease and line the bottom of an 8” square or 9” round cake tin with greaseproof paper/baking parchment/butter paper.
- In a mixing bowl, assemble the flour, baking powder and baking soda, mix with a spoon and sieve once to make the mixture uniform.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit (150 C.)
- Put in the condensed milk, melted butter, vanilla extract and water into the mixing bowl containing the dry ingredients. Beat with an electric hand mixer, whisk or spoon or in a stand mixer until the mixture comes together and there are no lumps. This should take 3 to 4 minutes with an electric hand mixer/beater.
- Be careful not to overbeat the mixture as this could result in a hard cake. Stir in 2 tbsp hot water and beat for a minute more.
- Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake for 50 to 55 minutes or till done.
- The cake is done when a knife or cake tester comes out clean when inserted in the centre of the cake. Invert the cake on a cooling rack, cool and use as required.