Soft and golden, these homemade simple bagels emanate a hearty, bready flavor. For a variation, you can add cinnamon, raisins, honey or maple syrup to the dough. They are great for sandwiches or make perfect grab-and-go breakfast, spread with cream cheese. One of our most favorite easy breakfast recipes!
- 1 Teaspoon Active Dry Yeast
- 1 1/4 Cups Warm Milk (110-115 Degrees)
- 1/4 Cup Butter (Softened)
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 3 3/4 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- In a bowl, add yeast and warm milk and stir till yeast is dissolved. Add sugar, butter, egg yolk and salt and mix well. Add flour and mix until a soft dough is formed.
- Place dough onto a floured surface and with your hands, knead until smooth and elastic. Place dough in a greased bowl and turn once to grease top. Cover the bowl and keep aside in a warm place for about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease 2 large baking sheets.
- With your hands, punch the dough down. Make 12 equal sized balls from dough. With your thumb, create a 1-inch hole in the center of each ball. Arrange balls onto a floured surface. Cover the balls for about 10 minutes. Then, flatten each ball.
- In a large pan of boiling water, place bagels, one at a time. When bagels float to the surface, with a slotted spoon, transfer onto prepared baking sheets in a single layer about 2-inch apart.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and transfer bagel pans onto wire racks to cool before serving.