If you want a simple French dessert that is beyond delicious then you have to try these madeleines. These cakes will melt in your mouth and have the most amazing flavours, you can eat them all day.
- 100g (7 tbsp) unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 100g (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour plus 1 tbsp 100g sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- Melt the butter either in your microwave or in a small pot over medium heat. Browning the butter will add a lovely depth of flavour to the cakes but is of course optional. Once melted or browned pour the butter into a bowl and allow to cool.
- Sift the flour, salt, and baking powder into a bowl then whisk together and set aside.
- Add the eggs and sugar to the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment or a large bowl if using an electric hand mixer.
- Beat on high until the mixture is a light yellow colour with a thick silky texture, about 8-9 minutes. You’ll see the beater leave trails when it’s ready. Mix in the vanilla and lemon zest toward the end.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture and mix until just combined. You can sift the flour mixture into the eggs while you fold to avoid getting lumps or over-mixing the delicate batter.
- Drizzle the butter into the batter and gently mix until just combined.
- Cover and chill the batter in the fridge for 1 hour then scoop one tablespoon of batter into each scallop-shaped well.
- Bake the madeleines in a preheated 350F oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Serve with a light dusting of powdered sugar.