A delicious, fluffy, traditional cake and that too without any butter but it is light and fluffy sponge cake. You can top with icing and decorate with fruits or just have it as is. Make sure all your ingredients are at room temperature,
- 6 egg yolks
- 6 egg whites
- 160 grans granulated white sugar
- 210 grams of flour
- one teaspoon of baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar/ lemon juice/vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- add 6 egg yolks in a bowl then to that add granulated sugar and beat with an electric mixer until light. For the dry ingredients, add flour in a bowl and add baking powder and whisk that together so it’s well combined when you are using self-raising, do not add baking powder to it, set the dry ingredients aside.
- In a bowl with the 6 egg whites, whisk them until they reach a soft peak and start with the mixer on low speed so that the egg protein does not break down then halfway through you will add cream of tartar then beat until the egg whites reach a perfect peak. Pour the egg yolks mixture into a large bowl and add vanilla extract then add two tablespoons of milk and whisk everything together gently.
- Add the dry mixture to it in batches about a third each time while folding the flour into the batter until you are done. For the final stage, fold in the egg whites mixture, when you are adding the egg whites be very gently because this is what is going to give the sponge cake its spongy and light texture. For the baking pan, you can use a 6 inch round or rectangle baking pan and you will grate and line the bottom with a parchment paper then pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake this cake in a 175 degrees Celcius 340 Fahrenheght preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Let the cake cool in the oven for ten minutes after baking then removes the cake from the pan and let it cool. Serve this cake with any toppings you like or the way it is with a cup of tea. Enjoy.