Puff puff is known by different names depending on the country but it is a major snack in West Africa and if you can make these appetizers at home with basic ingredient consisting of flour, sugar, yeast, water, salt, and oil for deep frying., then you will love it. Puff puff is a quick and easy recipe with a few low-cost ingredients but doesn’t underestimate how delicious it is because of its simplicity.
- 2 cups + 1-2 tablespoons warm water
- 2 1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast (1 packet)
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp salt
- Oil for deep frying
- Mix salt, sugar, water, and yeast. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Add flour and mix.
- Let the mixture rise for approximately 1- 2 hours
- In a large, saucepan pours vegetable oil into a pot, until it is at least 3 inches high (too little will result in flatter balls), and place on low heat.
- Test to make sure the oil is hot enough by putting a ‘drop’ of batter into the oil. If it is not hot enough, the batter will stay at the bottom of the pot rather than rising to the top.
- Using your hands grab a little bit of mixture at a time and drop in the oil.
- When the oil is hot enough, use a spoon to dish up the batter, and another spoon or spatula to drop it in the oil, sort of in the shape of a ball.
- Fry for a few minutes until the bottom side is golden brown.
- Turn the ball over and fry for a few more minutes until the other side is golden brown.
- Use a large spoon or something like that to take it out of the oil. I usually place them on napkins right away to soak up some of the excess oil.
- If desired, you can roll the finished product in table sugar or powdered sugar to make it sweeter