These buns are easy to prepare and use simple ingredients. Start by prepping the yeast. In a medium bowl combine the hot water (105 to 115F) and the sugar. Then add the dry yeast. see below
- 1 1/8 cups of water I use filtered (267mL)
- 2 Tbsp. active dry yeast 17g
- 1/3 cup oil olive, vegetable, etc. (71g)
- 3 Tbsp. of white granulated sugar 38g
- 1 large egg
- 3 to 3 1/3 cups of bread flour or all-purpose/plain flour (360 to 400g)
- 1 tsp. salt 4g
- Butter for basting
- First, get the yeast started. Add the hot water (105 to 115F) to a large bowl. Next, add a pinch of the sugar to the water. Now add in the active dry yeast. Agitate the yeast in the water a little bit and then let it sit until it gets foamy (5 to 10 mins).
- Now add in the oil and sugar. Beat an egg in a separate bowl and then add that in as well. Combine all those ingredients together well with a whisk.
- Whisk together the flour and the salt then adds in a cup at a time to the large bowl of other ingredients. Use a wooden spoon or dough hook on a stand mixer from this point on. Continue stirring or mixing and adding the flour until a nice dough forms. You will have some flour left over.
- Knead the dough by hand or with a stand mixer for 8 to 10 minutes add the extra flour as necessary.
- Cover the dough with a damp towel and or plastic wrap and let it rise for 1 hour or until doubled.
- After the dough has risen, punch down the dough and cut it into 16 equal pieces or if you want them larger into 12 equal pieces. Roll them out into hot dog bun shapes or hamburger bun shapes.
- Place them on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Baste the tops of the homemade hot dog buns with butter and then cover them loosely with plastic wrap and a damp towel. Let them rise for about 30 minutes. Remove the plastic wrap and towel.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F/176 C. Then bake the hot dog buns for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown on top. Again baste them with butter and then allow them to cool before serving.