This simple sponge cake bakes in just over one hour!
- 5 large eggs eggs
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
- In a large mixing, bowl adds 5 eggs then whip the eggs on low speed for about 1 minute. Add sugar in two additions while whipping in between until the sugar is dissolved in the egg mixture.
- Whip until light, fluffy and doubled in size for about 8 minutes after adding the second batch of the sugar. After beating the eggs and sugar really well, sift in one cup of all-purpose flour and fold gently with a spatula. This is the point that you want to be very careful with this batter because the eggs are what will give this cake its tender structure.
- If you are aggressive with folding the batter you will break the structure formed by the eggs and will have a hard cake that will not rise well when baked. You want to fold it just until the flour is moistened and there are no lumps in the batter.
- Gently pour the batter in a round or square cake pan that is lightly greased then lined with a parchment paper. Place the pan with the cake batter over a large tray then add hot water to the large tray. Bake the cake in a preheated 320 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 60 minutes.
- Once the cake is baked, remove the cake from the oven and remove the parchment paper while hot then place it on a wire rack and let it cool completely before serving it. Dust it with powdered sugar or top the cake with cream and serve.