This classic pound cake is made with one pound each of four different ingredients that is why they call this cake a pound cake. You will need a pound each of flour, butter eggs and sugar. Make sure your butter is softened to room temperature then beat with a hand mixer until light and fluffy, give it a good minute of beating so you get that butter nice and creamy then add in the sugar and cream that as well.
Next, you will add one pound of eggs and since eggs vary in size, you may want to weigh this one, you will need about 9 eggs. Add the eggs in one at a time and once all the eggs are well-mixed in, you will add the last ingredients that are one pound of flour. Add the flour a little bit at a time and mix it between the additions until all the flour is mixed in. You should end up with a nice thick classic pound cake batter.
There are a few changes that you can make in this cake such as adding two teaspoons of vanilla extract or two teaspoons of almond extract for a little bit of almond flavour. Another change is by adding a little bit of sour cream in place of part of the butter. If you ware making a small batch of this cake, maintain a 1:1:1 ratio of all the ingredients of whatever measurements you are using and it will come out okay.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly grease either a round cake pan or a two loaf pans then pour the batter in and bake for about an hour or until a toothpick inserted at the centre comes out clean. Some ovens tend to brown the top of the cakes a little too much and if you want to protect that you can place an aluminium foil on top of the cake and that will prevent them from browning any further. Once baked, let the cake cool on a wire rack before slicing and serve. Enjoy this delicious cake with a cup of tea.
- 2 cups (1 pound) butter, room temperature
- 2 cups (1 pound) sugar
- 9 large eggs (1 pound)
- 3½ cups (1 pound) flour
- Lightly grease 2 (9×5 inch) loaf pans or a 10 inch round cake pan with butter and dust with flour. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to cream butter until light and fluffy. Beat in sugar until smooth.
- Add in eggs one at a time and beat until smooth. Slowly add in flour, mixing in between additions.
- Pour in prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated 350-degree oven for 1 hour. Tent with aluminium foil to prevent over-browning.
- Cool in the pans for 15 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.