Many home cooks are put off by the idea of making their own donuts, simply because it’s such a hassle. With yeast donuts, there’s a lot of kneading and resting involved, and let’s be serious, no one wants to wait for hours when you have a donut craving! Luckily, these homemade fried donuts are easy to make, and they are delicious.
- WARM MILK 200 ml (6.7oz)
- ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR 400 g (14.1oz)
- BUTTER 40 g (1.4oz)
- SUGAR 2 tbsp
- YEAST 7 g (1 ¼ to 1 ½ tsp)
- SALT 1/2 tsp
- EGG 1
- OIL FOR FRYING
- SUGAR FOR SPRINKLING
- In a large bowl, add the milk, 2 tablespoons sugar, yeast, salt, egg, flour, and butter.
- Use your hands to mix all ingredients and knead the dough.
- Cover and allow to rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the ball, flatten slightly, and divide into 12 equal parts.
- Use your hands to create round balls of dough.
- Roll out the ball into a long, thin sausage shape. Fold the ends over each other.
- Continue to fold to form a plaited donut.
- Cover and allow to rest for about 30 minutes.
- Heat enough oil for shallow frying in a cast-iron pan over medium heat. Add the donuts and fry until golden.
- Flip the donuts and fry the other side until golden and cooked through.
- Sprinkle with sugar.