Crispy and buttery cons filled with sweet and delicate cream. You could use whipped cream, cream cheese frosting, buttercream or Italian Meringue which is my favorite filling for puff pastry cones and which I will make today.
- 3 egg yolks;
- 30g (2 tbsp) flour;
- 100g (½ cup) sugar;
- 1 tsp vanilla extract;
- 230ml (¾ cup) warm milk;
- 200g (1 cup) whipped cream;
- 1 sheet puff pastry;
- Powdered sugar.
- Whisk egg yolks, vanilla and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add half of the milk, then whisk everything with flour until smooth and add leftover milk.
- Place pastry cream on top of the low heat and cook, whisking constantly, until thick (5-7 minutes).
- Pour hot cream into a glass bowl, cover with plastic and let sit in the fridge.
- Roll out the puff pastry sheet and cut into 12 strips.
- Wrap each strip around steel cream horn mold, overlapping the layers slightly. Brush with cream or an egg wash before placing it in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 200C/440F.
- Let the horns cool down, then carefully remove them from the mold.
- Fold whipped cream into the cold custard and fill each horn with the mixture using a piping bag.