This is a really unique cake made with a vanilla flavoured cupcake, lemon flavoured whipped cream frosting and raspberry jam at the centre.
- 1 and 2/3 cups (210 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup (200 g) white sugar
- 1/2 cup (115 g) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
- Juice of 1 lemon (I’ve got about 55 ml)
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) milk, at room temperature
- 5 Tablespoons (75 ml) water
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 and 1/2 cups raspberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/3 cup (70 g) white sugar
To make the raspberry filling
- In a small bowl whisk together 2 tablespoons of water and cornstarch.
- Set aside. In a small saucepan combine raspberries, sugar and 3 Tablespoons of water and cook over medium-high until berries break down, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- If you want your sauce seedless and more smooth, strain it through a sieve at this step.
- Add cornstarch mixture into the raspberry puree and stir for another 2 minutes. The mixture will thicken.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool
To make the cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, melted butter and vanilla until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and, using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, fold together until just combined.
- Whisk in lemon zest, lemon juice, and milk. Wisk until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Spoon the batter into the cupcake liners, filling 3/4 full to avoid spilling over the sides.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool completely before filling and frosting.
To fill the cupcakes
- Using a sharp knife, cut a circular hole into the centre of the cooled cupcake to create a little pocket about 1/2 inch deep.
- Place 1 teaspoon of raspberry filling inside and top with the piece of cupcake you removed to seal. Repeat with the rest cupcakes.