This Chocolate Chip Cake features a super moist, vanilla cake studded with semi-sweet chocolate chips and a creamy, fluffy chocolate frosting to top it off. Easy to make and a sure thing when it comes to winning over the crowd. Perfect for any occasion — birthdays, holidays, potluck parties, BBQs, and more!
Ingredients : For the Cake
- 2 ½ cups cake flour
- ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, plus ¼ cup for the topping (I like to use a mix of both regular-sized and mini chocolate chips)
For the Icing :
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons milk, half-and-half, or cream
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and have ready a greased 9×13″ cake pan, preferably light-colored steel or aluminum.
- Sift the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt over a medium-sized mixing bowl. Set aside until ready to use.
- Add the butter and sugar to a large bowl and using a handheld mixer, mix until fluffy and pale yellow in color (about 3-5 minutes). You could also use a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment for this task.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the sour cream and the vanilla and mix again. Scrape down the sides and the bottom of the bowl using a silicone spatula and mix once more.
- With the mixer on low, add the dry ingredients in 3 rounds, alternating with the buttermilk (adding it in 2 rounds). Scrape the sides and the bottom of the bowl, and mix once more. Add 1 cup of the chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Bake for 28-32 minutes (checking at the 28-minute mark). Set the cake aside to cool completely on a wire rack before icing. If you are using a ceramic or glass baking dish, your cake will take about 3-6 minutes longer to finish baking.
To Make the Icing:
- Add the butter to a large bowl and using a handheld mixer, mix on medium-high speed for about 3 minutes. You could also use a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Set aside.
- Sift together the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Add to the butter, along with the milk, and vanilla and begin mixing on low. Slowly increase the speed and mix until smooth and well-combined.
- Spread the frosting across the top of the cooled cake and garnish with chocolate chips, if desired. Serve and enjoy!