These super delicious vanilla cookies are super easy to make and a great treat for breakfast. With a melt-in-the-mouth texture, these cookies have a lovely hint of vanilla that is the perfect base for any decorations you wish to try. The taste of sweet vanilla — which so often features only as a background flavor shines in these delicious cookies and their crispiness is nearly impossible to stop eating.
- 8-1/2 oz. (1-3/4 cups) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. table salt
- 1/2 lb. (1 cup) unsalted butter softened at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar; more for coating
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt to blend.
- Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or a hand-held mixer, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 min. Scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla until thoroughly combined, about 2 min. Scrape the bowl again. With the mixer on low speed, slowly blend in the flour until incorporated, about 30 seconds.
- Drop the dough by rounded tablespoonfuls into a bowl of granulated sugar and roll to coat; then set the coated balls about 3 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake until the cookies are golden brown on the edges and slightly soft in the center, 15 to 18 min. Let the cookies cool on the sheet for 1 min. before transferring them to a rack to cool.
- The cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to three days.