This is a super moist cake made with both banana and chocolate flavours. A dessert that you can serve anytime you have a chcolate cake craving.
- 1 1/2 cups (195 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (25 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder (Dutch-processed or regular)
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 gram) baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 gram) salt
- 1 cup (170 grams) white, dark, or milk chocolate chips
- 2 large eggs (100 grams), at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups (375 grams) of mashed bananas (you will need 3 large ripe bananas) (approximately 1 pound or 450 grams)
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) pure vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place your oven rack in the centre of the oven. Butter, or spray with a non-stick vegetable spray, a 9 x 5 x 3 inch (23 x 13 x 8 cm) loaf pan. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.
- Place the nuts on a baking sheet and bake for about 8 minutes or until lightly brown and fragrant. Let cool and then chop coarsely.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the eggs. Then add the mashed bananas, melted butter, and vanilla extract.
- With a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, lightly fold the wet ingredients (banana mixture) into the dry ingredients until just combined and the batter is thick and chunky.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan, smoothing with the back of a spoon or offset spatula. Bake until the bread has risen and a wooden toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean, about 55 to 65 minutes.
- Place on a wire rack to cool for about 15 minutes and then remove the bread from the pan. Can be covered and stored for a few days, or frozen for a couple of months.