This cake is moist, rich, and oh so chocolatey! Using a dark stout beer really helps to bring out the deep chocolate flavour in the cake, as well as the glaze, and makes it a perfect dessert!
- 1 cup (250 mL) butter, softened
- 2 cups (500 mL) Granulated Sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (250 mL) dark stout beer
- 1 cup (250 mL) unsweetened cocoa
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) flour
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) buttermilk
For chocolate stout glaze
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped dark chocolate OR chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) dark stout beer
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Thoroughly grease a bundt pan, then dust it with cocoa powder.
- Mix together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla, and mix until just combined.
- Stir in the beer.
- In a separate bowl, whisk or sift together the cocoa, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the dry, mixing after each addition, until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Place the bundt pan on a baking sheet and bake for approximately one hour, or until a toothpick inserted close to the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, run a knife gently around the edges of the pan to loosen the cake. Invert it onto a cake stand or plate. Carefully wiggle the pan free from the cake with very slight movements. Let the cake cool completely before decorating with glaze.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine all of the ingredients.
- Stir frequently until the mixture is smooth and silky, then remove from heat.
- While the glaze is still warm, pour it over the cake, letting it run down the sides. You can serve the cake immediately, or keep it covered at room temperature for up to three days.