The taste is all you’ve ever wanted for christmass!
- 1 tbsp dry active yeast
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 1/3 cup warm water
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 tbsp butter, melted and cooled
- 6-7 tbsp softened butter
- In a bowl add warm water, sugar and yeast and stir to combine. Let sit for 10 minutes until the yeast become foamy.
- Mix flour and salt in a bowl.
- Add flour, salt and melted butter to the yeast mix and mix to form a dough. Knead dough for about 10 minutes until smooth and no longer sticky. This can be done in a mixer using a hook attachment.
- Form dough into a ball and place in large bowl and cover loosely with cling wrap. Place in a warm place and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 45 to 60 minutes.
- Punch down dough and turn out onto the counter. Knead for about 30 seconds then cut into 12 equal pieces.
- Form each dough into a ball then roll to form a circle. Spread about ½ tsp softened butter on the dough, but not on the edges. Fold in half then spread with butter, then fold in half again for form a rectangle. See above video for technique.
- Gently press the edges together then place on an ungreased baking sheet pan.
- Repeat and place all the butterflap on the pan about 2 inches apart.
- Cover loosely with cling wrap in a warm place and allow to rise, about 30 minutes.
- Remove cling wrap then place in an oven preheated to 375 degrees and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately brush with melted butter.
- Serve warm.