Pear and Cinnamon Cake
- 3 cups plain flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 180g butter, softened plus 20g for base plus 50g for sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 6 pears peeled, cored and quartered
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp caster sugar
- Butterscotch sauce:
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cream
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced). Line a 25cm spring-form tin with baking paper.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour and baking powder together.
- In a separate medium bowl, cream the butter and sugar together using a beater until pale and creamy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until the batter is well mixed. Add the vanilla.
- Stir in half of the flour mixture, followed by the buttermilk, then the remaining flour. Stir to combine.
- To make the base; in a medium bowl combine the butter, cinnamon and sugar. Spread into the base of the prepared tin. Cover with the
- pears, cut side up in a circular pattern.
- Scrape batter into the prepared tin and smooth the top with the back of a wet spoon.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, to make the butterscotch sauce; in a saucepan, over a high, heat combine ingredients. Bring to a boil. Cook until it
- thickens slightly. Remove from the heat, and cool slightly.
- To serve; turn cake upside down so the pears are on the top and drizzle with the butterscotch sauce drizzled over top.
- PER SERVE
- • Energy 2536Kj • Protein 8g • Total Fat 26g • Saturated Fat 16g • Carbohydrates 83g • Sugars 55g • Sodium 291mg