Super soft, wonderfully simple, ultra satisfying buttermilk bread
- 4 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons organic sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon or 10g yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup organic cultured buttermilk
- 2oz/half a stick melted butter
- 1 whole egg
- 1 yolk
- Combine 1 cup warm water, yeast, and one pinch of sugar. Stir to dissolve and set aside to bloom.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine flour, sugar, and salt. Whisk to sift.
- Melt 2oz of butter in the microwave or in a small sauce pan, set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine 1 whole egg, 1 yolk, and 1/2 cup buttermilk. Whip well with a fork.
- Attach bowl with flour mixture to your stand mixer, fit with dough hook, and start on lowest speed. While mixer is on low, add yeast water that should be nice and foamy at this point, buttermilk egg mixture, and 2oz melted butter.
- Mix until just combined, scraping a few times to make sure there is no flour on the bottom of the bowl, once it is just combined, shut off the mixer and let the dough rest for 10 minutes.After resting for 10 minutes, mix dough on low for an additional 6-8 minutes. After mixing, cover the bowl and let rise in a warm spot until doubled, about an hour.
- After dough has doubled in size, punch down, and turn out onto a floured surface. Weigh dough on a scale with gram units, total weight should be around 1100g.For full size loaves, divide into two 550g balls. For mini loaves, divide into three 365g balls.
- Roll one ball at a time on floured surface to about 1/4 inch thick. Tri-fold like a letter, and then roll up like a like a log. Seal the seam at the bottom, place seam side down into pans.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Proof loaves in their pans until they have at least doubled in size, depending on the temperature in your kitchen this could take 30 minutes to 1 hour or more.
- Egg wash with a ratio of one yolk to 1 teaspoon water brushed over the top, this is optional. Be very careful to not puncture dough while brushing on the egg wash.
- Bake mini loaves at 355F for about 20-25 minutes, full sized loaves bake at 350F for about 30-40 minutes, rotating once or twice during the bake.
- Allow the loaves to cool fully before slicing.