Pound cakes are easy to make, and my Simple Marble Pound Cake recipe is no exception — with its gorgeous swirls of chocolate and vanilla.
- 1 cup (8 oz/225 g) butter (softened)
- 1½ cups (12 oz/340 g) granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs (at room temperature)
- ¼ cup (2 oz/57 g) sour cream (at room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups (7½ oz/213 g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (1 oz/28 g) cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder (sifted)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and butter and line with parchment a 9 x 5- inch (23 x 12½-cm) loaf pan.
- Butter and flour the parchment paper and set it aside.
- In a medium bowl with a handheld mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment on medium-high speed, cream the butter and sugar together until very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Lower the speed to medium and add the eggs, one at a time, and fully mix each before adding the next. Scrape down the sides of the bowl after each addition. Mix in the sour cream and vanilla extract.
- Whisk the flour, cornstarch, and salt together in a small bowl, then beat this into the butter mixture on low speed until just combined.
- Remove half of the batter to a separate medium bowl and fold in the cocoa powder until combined.
- Drop alternating spoonfuls of vanilla and chocolate batter into the prepared loaf pan, then run a knife through the batter to swirl it.
- Bake for 60 to 70 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the center, comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes before lifting it out of the pan onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 2 months. Defrost at room temperature for 2 hours.