An easy and light lemon cake packed with fruit. Perfect for barbecues, picnics and parties.
For the sponge
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- 75g/2½oz golden caster sugar
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 75g75g/2½oz plain flour
For the filling
- 300g/10½oz mixed berries (raspberries, blackberries, blueberries), plus extra for serving
- ½ small unwaxed lemon, finely grated zest only
- 4 level tbsp lemon curd
- 180g/6oz extra-light soft cheese
- 2 tsp icing sugar, plus 1 tsp extra for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/Gas 7.
- Line a 18x28cm/7x11in Swiss roll tin with baking paper and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- Put the sugar and eggs in a large mixing bowl and whisk using an electric hand-held mixer for 6–8 minutes, or until pale and thickened.
- Sift the flour into the mixture and gently fold in using a metal spoon. Spoon into the prepared tin and spread with the back of a spoon until evenly covered.
- Bake for 8–10 minutes, or until springy to the touch.Allow to cool for 1–2 minutes, then turn out onto a large sheet of baking paper.
- Carefully peel off the lining paper and cover with a clean, damp tea towel and leave until cool.
- Meanwhile, put the berries in a large bowl and roughly mash with a fork. Add the lemon zest, lemon curd, soft cheese and icing sugar and stir well. Spread over the sponge in an even layer.
- Using the baking paper to help you, roll up the sponge from one of the long sides. Light dust with a little icing sugar if desired, cut into slices and serve with the extra berries.