This is a simple banana bread recipe to make and a fantastic way to use any leftover bananas and storecupboard ingredients. A delicious bake for afternoon tea served slightly warmed and smothered with butter.
- 250g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 100g caster sugar
- 4 bananas, ripe or brown
- 1 egg, beaten
- 75g butter, melted
- 1 vanilla pod
- 2 tsp demerara sugar
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Grease and base line a loaf tin.
- Sift the flour, pinch of salt, cinnamon and caster sugar together in a large bowl. Thinly slice half a banana and reserve for the top. Mash the remaining banana’s until fairly smooth and runny.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour, add the banana, egg, butter and chopped vanilla pod. Mix well with a wooden spoon to make a thick cake mixture.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin, top with the banana slices and sprinkle over the demerara sugar. Bake for 1 hr-1 hr 10 mins, or until the top is golden and springs back when prodded gently with your finger.
- Cool in the tin for 10 mins, before transferring to a wire rack. When cold, serve in slices.