Sugar buns that are soft and buttery with very pretty golden tops. They are generously sprinkled with sugar and the centers are oozing with butter.
For the Overnight Dough
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
For the Bread Dough
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water 110-115 F
- 2 and 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp milk powder
- 1/3 cup plus one teaspoon sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup butter melted
For the Toppings
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2-3 tbsp sugar for sprinkling on the buns
- 16 little pieces unsalted butter about 1 inch long mini rectangles
Make the Overnight Dough (make ahead)
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and boiling water. Stir until the mixture turns into a paste. Shape the dough into a ball. Wrap this in plastic and refrigerate overnight.
Make the Bread Dough
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, warm the water until it reaches 110- 115 F. Sprinkle the yeast and let it sit for about 5 minutes, or until foamy. In another bowl, combine the flour, milk powder, salt and sugar. Whisk to incorporate the ingredients.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the yeast mixture, and stir using a wooden spoon. Add the egg and continue to stir. Add the overnight dough. Stir the mixture until the dough is incorporated with the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the melted butter and stir the mixture until a soft, shaggy dough is formed. It should be gathering in the center of the bowl. Turn this dough over onto a floured board. Knead for 7-10 minutes, or until the dough is smooth, elastic and no longer sticky. Place it in a bowl, cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rise for an hour or so, until doubled in size.
- Punch the dough down gently and divide into 15-16 portions. Shape each portion into a smooth ball and arrange the pieces in a greased 9×13 baking dish or baking pan with even spaces in between. Cover the buns loosely with plastic wrap or a clean kitchen towel. Let them rise for 1 hour or so, until doubled in size.
- After they have risen, preheat the oven to 350 F. using your fingers, make a one-inch slit in the center of each bun. Insert the butter pieces in the slits. To make the egg wash, beat together 1 egg with 1 tbsp of milk. Brush this mixture over the surface of the buns. Sprinkle the buns evenly with sugar. Bake at 350 F for 20-25 minutes, or when the rolls are nicely golden.