Cornmeal adds a wonderful golden colour and slight crunch to these savoury scones. Perfect to enjoy for anytime of the day but especially nice with soups and stews!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (500 mL)
- 1/2 cup cornmeal (125 mL)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder (15 mL)
- 1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
- 1 cup cold mashed potatoes (see tip) (250 mL)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (125 mL)
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley or basil (45 mL)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup canola oil (125 mL)
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl, using a fork, mash together potatoes, cheese, parsley and garlic. Add to flour mixture and stir in until crumbly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together canola oil and eggs. Drizzle over flour mixture and toss to combine using a fork, until blended. Gather dough with your hands. Place dough on lightly-floured surface and gently knead dough together. Pat dough into a 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick round. Cut into 8 wedges and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden.