A super soft, fluffy, moist sponge cake that is totally addictive. Great for dessert.
- 8 eggs yolks and whites separated into two bowls
- 105 g All Purpose Flour
- 15 g cornstarch
- 95 g Avocado Oil or Vegetable Oil
- 90 g Oat Milk
- 85 g white granulated sugar
- Line your 20 cm square baking pan with parchment paper in a tall manner.
- Separate your egg yolks from the whites into two bowls. Place the egg whites in a larger mixing bowl for later. The egg yolks can be placed in a smaller bowl.
- In another large mixing bowl, sift together all purpose flour and corn starch. Whisk until well combined.
- Heat your avocado oil in the microwave for 80 seconds until it’s 90 degrees C using a thermometer to measure the temperature.
- Then immediately pour the hot oil into the flour mixture and mix well. Add in half the portion of your milk into the flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Then mix in your egg yolks into the batter. Followed by the rest of your milk.
- The batter should be viscose and a bit runny. Set the batter aside.
- Preheat your oven at 300 degrees F.
- Using an electric whisk, whisk your egg whites and add your white sugar to it in three portions.
- The meringue should reach a soft peak, not a stiff peak or this will cause large cracks in your cake. If you under whisk, you cake will have dents. In order to tell if it’s a soft peak, stir your meringue with the whisk and lift it up. If it forms a wiggly tail at the end of your whisk that doesn’t fall, your meringue is ready.
- Gently whisk a large dollop of the meringue into the yellow batter until combined. Then add another dollop and whisk again.
- Then pour the rest of your meringue and gently whisk until it’s just combined.
- Switch to a spatula to mix and fold the batter, scraping the base of the bowl to ensure it’s thoroughly mixed properly.
- Pour the batter into your lined baking pan. Tap the pan on a table to release any bubbles and smooth out the top with a spatula.
- Place the square pan with your cake batter into a larger baking dish filled with 70 degrees C hot water.
- Bake the cake for 85 minutes until you poke it with a toothpick and it comes out clean.
- Remove the parchment paper and slice the cake while hot. This cake can be served warm or cold.