Deliciously moist and fluffy chocolate muffins that are loaded with peanut butter and banana flavour, and stuffed full of chocolate chips. Perfect with a hot cup of tea or coffee!
- 2 and 1/2 cups (312g) plain/all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (50g) cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup (150g) caster/granulated sugar
- 1 cup (240ml) buttermilk*
- 1/2 cup (120ml) vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 medium bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup (125g) smooth peanut butter
- 1 cup (175g) chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Line a 12-hole muffin pan with muffin cases, then set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until thick and lighter in colour.
- Add the buttermilk, oil, vanilla, banana, and peanut butter, and whisk until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients in thirds and fold in until just combined – do not overmix. Fold in the chocolate chips. The mixture will be thick and somewhat lumpy.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan (filling to the tops).
- For the peanut butter swirl, spoon a small dollop of runny peanut butter on the tops, and use a knife or toothpick to create swirls.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 5 – 10 minutes in the pan before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.