This Coffee Cake is easy and delicious with tender crumbs, layered and topped with a crumbly streusel and the honor of being much, much better than what you can buy in a store.
- Baking spray with flour3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sour cream (from 1 [24-oz.] container)
- 1 cup dried tart cherries, chopped (from 1 [5-oz.] pkg.)
- ¾ cup shelled roasted, salted pistachios, chopped
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 5 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease a 10-inch tube pan with baking spray.
- Prepare the Cake: Whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a bowl. Beat together sugar and butter on medium-high speed with a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. With mixer on low speed, add vanilla and eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture and sour cream alternately to butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Fold in dried cherries. Pour batter into prepared tube pan.
- Prepare the Topping: Stir together pistachios, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt until combined. Stir in butter. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake in preheated oven until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 65 to 70 minutes. Cool in pan 30 minutes. Remove from pan; place streusel side up on a platter. Whisk together powdered sugar and cream until smooth. Drizzle over cake.