Yummy Milk Buns are known for their distinct, milky taste and their soft, melt-in-your-mouth texture. These soft dinner rolls are perfect with any kind of jam or spread but are delicious on their own.
For the Starter
- 3 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp whole milk
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
For the Dough
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup whole milk warm (105-115 F)
- 2 tbsp whole milk powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 2 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp milk for brushing on the buns
- Make the Starter:In a small pot, stir together milk, water and flour until lump -free. Cook over low heat while stirring continuously until the mixture is thick like a paste. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool
- Make the Dough:In a large mixing bowl, add the warm milk. Sprinkle the yeast and about 1 teaspoon of the sugar. Let this mixture sit for about 5 minutes, or until the yeast turned foamy. Add the sugar, milk powder, butter, egg, salt and the cooled starter. Use a big wooden spoon to incorporate all the ingredients together. Add the flour and stir it into the rest of the mixture. Once the dough has gathered together into a shaggy mass, turn it over into a floured surface.
- Knead the dough until it is smooth, elastic and soft.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place in a lightly greased bowl.Cover the bowl and let the dough rise for 60-90 minutes until puffy. Divide dough into 9 portions, shape each into a ball and place on a greased 9-inch baking pan. Cover the rolls and let rise again for 50 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Brush the surface of the rolls with milk and bake at 350 for 15-17 minutes, or until the tops are golden. Serve warm. Leftovers can be stored in a tightly covered container at room temperature for up to 2 days.