Don’t let the name fool you, this pumpkin yeast bread is truly delicious. It’s got it all! Soft and tender crumb; rich buttery flavour with sweet notes from the pumpkin, a cinnamon spiked pumpkin filling and crunchy, fragrant toasted pumpkin seeds on top. Honestly, if you like pumpkin anything, you must make this loaf!
- 330 g Bread Flour
- 90 g Milk
- 30 g Sugar
- 5 g Sea Salt
- 1 Large Egg Save
- 70 g Pumpkin Puree
- 40 g Unsalted Butter
- 5 g Instant Dry Yeast
- 15 g Milk Powder Or 7g Condensed milk
- 30 g Unsalted Butter
- 200 g Pumpkin Puree
- 30 g Sugar
- ¼ tsp Cinnamon Powder
- In a large mixing bowl, add milk, yeast, milk powder, pumpkin puree and 80% of one beaten large egg. Save the rest for egg wash so you won’t need to open up a whole egg. Mix up the liquids and add in the flour and salt. Stir it up with a spoon or spatula.
- Once there is no more liquid visible, continue to knead by hand or in a stand mixer. Knead on speed 2 for a couple of minutes or until the dough has come together.
- Next, add the soften butter and knead the dough to incorporate it within. I often do this by hand because it’s faster than in the mixer.
- When the dough is unified again, knead on speed 2-3 for 7 -10min. Or until you have a very pliable dough that is smooth and elastic.
- Pull it out and form the dough into a smooth tight ball before covering it to rise in a warm, draft free place.
- In a pan over medium heat, combine butter, pumpkin puree, sugar and cinnamon and cook until you have a thick paste. Constantly flip the mixture so it reduces evenly. It’ll take about 10min.
- After about 1.5 – 2hours, the dough would have more than doubled in size. Punch out the air and shape it into a ball again. Then roll it out into a 40 x 20cm rectangle. It helps to loosen the dough from the table surface from time to time and stretch it into the rectangle shape.
- Smear the cooled pumpkin paste onto half of the rectangle. spread it out evenly all the way to the edges.
- Fold over the other half of the dough to cover the half that has the paste.
- Use a dough cutter or knife and cut 1cm wide stripes down the folded dough. leaving a 1-2cm area un cut on the top.
- Then one strip at a time, twist it in one direction so that each strip is now a spiral of dough plus dough with filling layered in between.
When they are all done, flatten out the ends and start to roll the entire loaf from top,
- Once you get to the end, Leave the loaf on its seams and press to compact the shape. Then carefully lift and put this into your loaf pan. Cover and let it rise for the second time.
- After another 45-1hr. The bread is ready for the oven. Brush with egg wash and top with pumpkin seeds. Then into a preheated 350F / 180C oven for 20-25min.
- Once baked, remove from loaf pan and cool on wire rack.