These Nutella stuffed buns are mouthwatering sweet rolls perfect for a weekend morning and they go great with a good cup of coffee or tea. These sweet buns are wonderful and so versatile because you can practically fill them with anything you like, other than Nutella, you can fill them with jam of your choice.
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 1 1/2 cups bread flour
- 3 tsp milk powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp custard powder
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- egg wash: 1 egg, 1 tbsp water
- 8-10 tbsp Nutella, chilled
- 1 tsp warm water
- 2 tsp sugar
- Place Nutella in the fridge for an hour to harden a bit. This helps to scoop out balls easier later.
- Sprinkle yeast into the warm water and allow to bloom for 5 minutes
- Meanwhile in a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, mix the flour, milk powder, sugar, and custard powder together.
- Add the egg and beat till the mixture is crumbly.
- Pour the yeast water until cohesive ball forms. If it becomes too sticky, sprinkle in some more flour.
- Once the dough comes together, beat in the butter one tablespoon at a time, then knead for 8 minutes.
- The dough will be soft and tacky. Allow this to rise for 1 hour. Or you can place in the fridge for up to 8 hours, but allow to come to room temperature before continuing.
- Once risen, turn the dough out onto a board and divide it into 8 pieces. Allow them to rest for 15 minutes.
- Shape the dough, by rolling out or pulling the dough into a 4 uncle circle. Make sure to keep the entrance of the circle thicker than the sides.
- Place 1 tablespoon of the chilled Nutella in the center of the dough then bring the sides together around it, pinching the dough together. Turn the ball upside down and place it on a baking sheet lined with parchment.
- Repeat with the rest of the dough pieces and allow to rise for 40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Brush with egg wash and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Allow cooling on a wire rack.
- Make a simple syrup with 2 tsp sugar and 1 tsp warm water. Brush this onto the tops of the buns and top with chocolate sprinkles.