I love lemon cake because I love all things lemon. This cake is the easiest lemon loaf I ever made. A one-bowl cake, that needed me to just toss all the ingredients together and beat in one go. Approximately took me 7 mins to get the batter ready. To a mommy of two smallies, recipes like these are a treasure.
- For the cake:
- 2 sticks /1 cup/225 gms butter, softened
- 150gms castor sugar
- 275 gms flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 4 large eggs
- 4 tbsp milk
- Juice of 2 lemons
- For the icing
- Juice of 2 limes3/4 cup icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Grease a large loaf tin with butter and line it with parchment paper. Let the sides overhang a bit, so when the cake is done, you can lift the loaf out with ease.
- Measure all the ingredients for the cake and add to a large bowl.
- Using a cake beater or a whisk, beat all the ingredients together till it forms a smooth batter.
- Pour into the prepared cake tin and let the cake bake for about 45-50 minutes.
- The loaf is done when a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean or with dry crumbs.
- While the loaf cools, making the icing. Simply mix the lemon juice and the icing sugar till it forms a runny syrup. Pour over the cake, while the cake is still in the tin.
- When the cake has cooled down a bit, lift it out of the tin and cut into slices.