This is a fantastic summer dessert recipe, it is so easy you can make everything ahead of time then serve for your guest or family. Make sure your ingredients are at room temparature because that is what makes the difference in a pound cake.
- 1 cup (240g) butter, room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups (250g) sugar
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 2 tsp (10ml) coconut extract
- 1 ¾ cups (210g) all-purpose flour
- 1 ¾ tsp (8.75ml) baking powder
- ½ tsp salt (2.5ml)
- 1 cup (240ml) full-fat sour cream
- ½ cup (45g) shredded unsweetened coconut flakes
- Before you begin, make sure your butter, eggs and sour cream are at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350F (176C). Prepare a 9 (23cm) x 5 (13cm) loaf pan by spraying it with baking spray and distributing it well with a paper towel.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk together and set aside. Also, measure out the sour cream and set that aside.
- Beat together the softened butter and the sugar until pale and fluffy, about 5-7 minutes of beating. It should have the texture of whipped cream, scrape down the bowl as needed.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating down the bowl in between each addition. Add the vanilla and coconut extracts. Beat for another 1-2 minutes, making sure the butter and eggs are incorporated well.
- If you are using a stand mixer, be sure to scrape down the bowl one last time, especially under the paddle attachment. This is where the hardened butter hides.
- You want to scrape that up now and make sure it’s well incorporated. Otherwise, it will reveal itself later when you go to pour your batter into your loaf pan and you don’t want clumps of butter in your batter or it will bake into your cake that way and create greasy, splotchy sections.
- Add the flour in thirds, alternating with the sour cream. Beat gently, just until combined, in between each addition, scraping down the bowl as needed.
- Transfer the batter into your loaf pan, smoothing it out with a spatula, and shaking the pan so it’s level.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cooling completely before slicing it.