Olive oil or any flavourless oil has just replaced butter for this cake and it is going to tastes really nice and the best thing about using oil for your bake is the texture of the cake will remain soft for days even when the cake is refrigerated.
- 1 ¾ cups (8 3/4 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cups (8 3/4 ounces) plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon grated lemon zest
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil or any flavourless oil
- ¾ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. then grease a 9-inch springform pan. Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip eggs on medium speed until foamy, about 1 minute. Add 1¼ cups sugar and lemon zest, increase speed to high, and whip until the mixture is a fluffy and pale yellow, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce speed to medium and, with mixer running, slowly pour in the oil. Mix until oil is fully incorporated, about 1 minute. Add half of the flour mixture and mix on low speed until incorporated, about 1 minute, scraping down bowl as needed.
- Add milk and mix until combined, about 30 seconds. Add remaining flour mixture and mix until just incorporated, about 1 minute, scraping down bowl as needed.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan; sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons sugar over the entire surface. Bake until cake is deep golden brown and toothpick inserted in centre comes out with few crumbs attached, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Transfer pan to wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes. Remove side of the pan and let the cake cool completely about 1 1/2 hours. Cut into wedges and serve.