Generally speaking, pound cakes are usually rich and buttery, and this vanilla pound cake is no different! It tastes so delicious, it isn’t too sugary and has a nice texture.Vanilla is one of my absolute best flavors, so to intensify the vanilla flavor a little, I added a whole vanilla bean and vanilla bean paste rather than using vanilla extract.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ vanilla bean, split lengthwise with seeds scraped out
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325℉
- Grease and flour a 9×5-inch loaf pan, then set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine
- In a large bowl, using an electric/hand mixer, beat the butter on medium speed until very creamy. Gradually add in the sugar and beat about 4 minutes until it is light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition, scrape down the bowl as needed.
- Then beat in the vanilla extract and seeds of the vanilla bean.
- Reduce to low speed and gradually add in ⅓ of the flour mixture followed by ½ of the buttermilk. Just as soon as the liquid is absorbed, add another ⅓ of the flour mixture, and then the remaining buttermilk. Then add the remaining ⅓ of the flour mixture, and beat until just combined. Be keen not to over-mix.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 75 to 80 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for about 15 minutes before turning it out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve and enjoy.