Digestive biscuits are a little bit like a whole wheat shortbread and how you eat them is like you would have with a cup of tea and dunk them in. They are super easy to make and you can start in a medium-sized bowl then add in whole wheat flour, some icing sugar or confectioners sugar.
- 225g whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- 90g icing sugar
- 120g cold butter, cubed
- 60ml milk
- Preheat oven to 180ºC/350°F/Gas mark 4. Line a baking tray/cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl and mix to combine the ingredients.
- Quickly, working with your fingertips or a blender, rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the milk and work through to form a dough.
- Turn out on a floured surface and roll to form a smooth dough.
- Using a well-floured rolling pin, roll the dough out to a bit more than 1/8 inch thick and cut into rounds, about 2 1/2 inches in diameter.
- You can keep rolling the scraps together to make an additional dough.
- Transfer the biscuits to your baking pan and, if desired, prick the biscuits with a fork to create holes.
- Bake for 20 minutes until biscuits are pale gold.