My neighbor gave me this recipe, and I love that it makes two loaves. We usually eat one and then give the other away or freeze it for later. The glaze complements the bread perfectly.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon plus 1-1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons each butter flavoring, almond extract and vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon each butter flavoring, almond extract and vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, oil, poppy seeds, butter flavoring and extracts. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Transfer to two greased and floured 9×5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 55-60 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm loaves.