Packed with seasonal flavour, this vibrant dish makes a hero of gorgeously fresh green chillies, combined with sweetcorn to create a delicious new spin on classic American-style cornbread.
- 375ml (12fl oz) semi-skimmed milk
- 3 eggs, beaten lightly
- 2 green chillies, deseeded, 1 finely chopped and 1 sliced into rounds
- 180g ground polenta
- 1 1/2 tbsp caster sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 75g plain flour
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 160g (5 1/2oz) tinned sweetcorn, drained
- 20g (3/4oz) Cheddar, finely grated
- Preheat the oven to gas 5, 190°C, fan 170°C. Line a 20cm (8in) x 4cm (2in) deep tin with nonstick baking paper.
- In a bowl, whisk the milk with the eggs. Stir in the chopped chilli.
- In a separate bowl, combine the polenta, sugar, baking powder, flour and paprika. Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry, stirring well. Add the sweetcorn and mix again.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and scatter over the sliced chilli, followed by the cheese. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the cornbread springs back when gently pressed. Remove from the oven and leave to cool a little before slicing.