This cake is a great choice for a brunch or any time you’re craving a lemony treat. Fresh, vibrant and rich, this version of Madeira cake is made by carefully creaming butter and sugar, then gradually beating in eggs and folding in the flour and grated orange and lemon zest to make a smooth batter. The baked cake is decorated with a citrus glacé icing and curls of candied citrus peel.
- 210g Multi Purpose Mix
- 175g butter/baking margarine
- 250g caster sugar
- 3 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tbs orange juice
- 1 tsp grated orange zest
- Lightly oil and line the sides and base of a loaf tin.
- Cream the margarine and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add in the tsp of orange zest.
- Slowly beat in the eggs one at a time scraping the mix together after each addition.
- Add the vanilla essence and the 2tbs of orange juice with the final egg.
- Add the multi-purpose flour and either fold in by hand until just blended, or mix slowly for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°C/350°F/.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 20-25 minutes.
- Turn the cake onto a wire rack, remove the lining paper and allow to cool fully before slicing and serving.
- Store in an airtight container.